Laryngology research in the Department of Otolaryngology includes these specific research projects:
- Ignacio Hernandez-Morato, PhD and Michael Pitman, MD are studying the role of trophic factor expression in laryngeal muscles to guide regenerating axons back to the correct muscles. This research has the potential to shed light on how the larynx may be repaired, and the voice restored, following nerve injury.
- Dr. Pitman developed and is researching the use of an implantable electrical stimulator for the treatment of spasmodic dysphonia. The stimulator could be a safe and effective alternative to the current standard treatment, painful botulinum toxin injections performed every three months.
- Dr. Pitman is researching vocal fold tissue regeneration using a muscle graft, as well as small intestinal submucosa implant and injection. The goal is to repair vocal fold scarring, and to regenerate the vocal folds in singers and the aged population.
- Carly Cantor, MS, CCC-SLP is evaluating pediatricians’ understanding of voice disorders in the pediatric population and how this impacts the quality of patient care.
- Michelle Shevon Troche, PhD/CCC-SLP is studying cough, swallowing, and airway protection in patients with Parkinson’s disease with the goal of improving quality of life and safety with decreased aspiration, pneumonia, and mortality.
Faculty Active in This Area
- Michael Pitman, MD
- Carly Cantor, MS, CCC-SLP
- Ignacio Hernandez-Morato, PhD
- Michelle Shevon Troche, PhD/CCC-SLP
- Temporalis Fascia Transplantation for Sulcus Vocalis and Vocal Fold Scar: Long-Term Outcomes.
Karle WE, Helman SN, Cooper A, Zhang Y, Pitman MJ.
Annals of Otology, Rhinology & Laryngology, 2018, Volume 127(4): 223-228.
- Investigation of the presence of HPV on KTP laser fibers following KTP laser treatment of papilloma.
Dodhia S, Baxter PC, Ye F, Pitman MJ.
Laryngoscope, 2018, Volume 128(4): 926-928.
- Vibratory function and healing outcomes after small intestinal submucosa biomaterial implantation for chronic vocal fold scar.
Pitman MJ, Kurita T, Powell ME, Kimball EE, Mizuta M, Chang S, Garrett CG, Rousseau B.
Laryngoscope, 2018, Volume 128(4): 901-908.
- Influence of Netrin-1 on reinnervation of laryngeal muscles following recurrent laryngeal nerve injury.
Hernandez-Morato I, Koss S, Sharma S, Pitman MJ.
Neuroscience Letters, Volume 653: 244-249.
- Serial in-office laser treatment of vocal fold leukoplakia: Disease control and voice outcomes.
Koss SL, Baxter P, Panossian H, Woo P, Pitman MJ.
Laryngoscope, 2017, Volume 127(7): 1644-1651.
- Management of Posterior Glottal Insufficiency With Use of a Buccal Graft.
Helman SN, Karle W, Pitman MJ.
Annals of Otology, Rhinology & Laryngology, 2017, Volume 126(2): 159-162.
- Muscle specific nucleus ambiguus neurons isolation and culturing.
Hernandez-Morato I, Pitman MJ, Sharma S.
Journal of Neuroscience Methods, 2016, Volume 273: 33-39.
- Prospective multi-institutional transnasal esophagoscopy: Predictors of a change in management.
Howell RJ, Pate MB, Ishman SL, Isseroff TF, Rubin AD, Soliman AM, Postma GN, Pitman MJ.
Laryngoscope, 2016, Volume 126(12): 2667-2671.
- Office-based 532-Nanometer pulsed potassium-titanyl-phosphate laser for marsupialization of laryngeal and vallecular mucoceles.
Helman SN, Pitman MJ.
Laryngoscope. 2017, Volume 127(5): 1116-1118.
- Changes in neurotrophic factors of adult rat laryngeal muscles during nerve regeneration.
Hernandez-Morato I, Sharma S, Pitman MJ.
Neuroscience, 2016, Volume 333:44-53.
- Blockade of glial-derived neurotrophic factor in laryngeal muscles promotes appropriate reinnervation.
Hernandez-Morato I, Tewari I, Sharma S, Pitman MJ.
Laryngoscope, 2016 Volume 126(10):E337-42.
- Contralateral Vocal Fold Reactive Lesions: Nomenclature, Treatment Choice, and Outcome.
Koss SL, Kidwai SM, Pitman MJ.
Otolaryngology—Head Neck Surgery, 2016, Volume 154(6):1079-83.
- Small Intestinal Submucosa Implantation for the Possible Treatment of Vocal Fold Scar, Sulcus, and Superficial Lamina Propria Atrophy.
Pitman MJ, Cabin JA, Iacob CE.
Annals of Otology, Rhinology & Laryngology, 2016, Volume 125(2):137-44.
- Extramedullary plasmacytoma of the cricoid cartilage with solitary plasmacytoma of the rib.
Haser GC, Su HK, Pitman MJ, Khorsandi AS.
American Journal of Otolaryngology, 2015, Volume 36(4):598-600.
- Differential expression of glial-derived neurotrophic factor in rat laryngeal muscles during reinnervation.
Hernandez-Morato I, Isseroff TF, Sharma S, Pitman MJ.
Laryngoscope, 2014, Volume 124(12):2750-6.
- Treatment of spasmodic dysphonia with a neuromodulating electrical implant.
Laryngoscope, 2014, Volume 124(11):2537-43.
- Temporalis fascia transplant for vocal fold scar and sulcus vocalis.
Pitman MJ, Rubino SM, Cooper AL.
Laryngoscope, 2014, Volume 124(7):1653-8.
- Development of the rat larynx: a histological study.
Alli O, Berzofsky C, Sharma S, Pitman MJ.
Laryngoscope, 2013, Volume 123(12):3093-8.
- Embryologic innervation of the rat laryngeal musculature--a model for investigation of recurrent laryngeal nerve reinnervation.
Pitman MJ, Berzofsky CE, Alli O, Sharma S.
Laryngoscope, 2013, Volume 123(12):3117-26.
- Recurrent laryngeal nerve transection and anastomosis: rat laryngeal motoneuron survival and effect of the anastomosis site.
Pitman MJ, Berzofsky C, Alli O, Sharma S.
Annals of Otology, Rhinology & Laryngology, 2013, Volume 122(4):283-7.
- Endoscopic CO2 laser cricopharyngeal myotomy.
Pitman M, Weissbrod P.
Laryngoscope, 2009, Volume 119(1): 45-53.